Find sheets that stay cool and enjoy the best sleep you’ve ever had
If you spend the night tossing and turning because of heat, you're not alone. Sheets are the base layer and depending on how they're made, greatly affect your temperature. And while there’s lots of information out there, when it comes to sheets that help you stay cool, many sources get it wrong. Read on to learn which sheets are best for hot sleepers, hot flushes or night sweats.
Common Mistakes People Make Regarding Cool Temperature Sheets
If you're going through menopause, sheets won't cure hot flushes but the wrong kind of sheet will make them worse. When looking for cool sheets or the best sheets for night sweats, it’s essential to avoid making these common mistakes.
- Don't choose high thread counts. We're all taught that a higher thread count (500+) means better quality but these days, thread count only tells us how many threads are in the sheet, it doesn't tell us much about quality. However, thread count greatly affects heat and higher thread counts create hotter sheets. In fact, 1000TC sheets are the hottest cotton sheets you can buy. Conversely, lower thread counts (250TC-350TC 10cm2) create cooler sheets but must be made from good cotton so they last.
- Don't choose sateen sheets. Because sateen sheets have higher thread counts, many people assume they must be “better.” But in reality, it comes down to preference with the sateen weave trapping more heat, making them much hotter than percale sheets.
- Don't choose synthetics. Synthetic sheets are hotter and many which sound natural like bamboo, are often a synthetic called rayon which uses wood pulp as a base. The same goes for some (cheaper) silk sheets. Also, much is made of the moisture-wicking properties of newer synthetics like Tencel but in our experience, synthetics don't react like natural fibres, and some can leave you feeling cold (not cool) which will also wake you.
- Don't use heavy duvets or quilts. Even in winter, heavy duvet inners or comforters can make you hot but when pulled aside, leave you cold. To sleep, we need to find that Goldilocks temperature; not too hot and not too cold. So instead, try multiple light layers. Too hot? Peel back a layer and you're less likely to awake feeling cold 30 minutes later.
What to look for when shopping for cool bed sheets
It's important to note that heat is personal and can be subjective. But in our experience (and Christina is currently going through 'the change') the following tips should result in sheets that help you stay cool.
- Cotton or linen, no synthetics
- Percale weave, avoid sateen
- Lower thread counts, 250TC-350TC 10cm2 is a common sweet-spot
- Good quality cotton, medium or long-staple cotton so light sheets last
Why Trust The Hotel Sheet for Sheets that Keep You Cool?
The Hotel Sheet has been making sheets for a decade. And during that time we’ve sleep-tested and lab-tested many kinds of sheets. We've also talked to 1000s of people about what makes sheets comfortable to them. Here are a few of the reasons you can trust us:
- Testing and certification. A new DNA test can identify fake Egyptian cotton. You can rest easy knowing that Egyptian cotton purchased from us has been verified as 100% long-staple Egyptian cotton. In addition, our bed linen is certified free from harmful or illegal substances via OEKO-TEX certification.
- Better value. While many sheets sacrifice cotton quality for an impressive thread count, we use classic hotel sheet recipes which use higher quality cotton, in lower thread counts. This results in better cotton for your money, beautiful feeling sheets that last, and more importantly, sheets that breathe.
- No-risk purchasing. Sleep on our sheets for 60 nights and, if you aren’t happy, return them for a full refund. Any returns are donated to the Auckland Women’s Refuge.
What To Expect when buying sheets that keep you cool from the Hotel Sheet
When you choose The Hotel Sheet, you’ll enjoy a variety of benefits, here are a few of the perks when buying from us:
- Free delivery in NZ. We’ll ship for free anywhere in New Zealand, including rural delivery. You can expect your items within three to four days – occasionally longer in rural areas.
- 10% off your first order. Our newsletter provides educational bedding information, tips, and special deals available only to subscribers. Subscribe and earn 10% off your first order.
- Customer education. We focus on providing our customers with helpful information to assist with selecting the sheets that suit their individual needs best.
About The Hotel SheetIt’s our goal to help you find sheets you’ll love. One of the important factors in getting a good night’s sleep is managing your body temperature and helping you reach the Goldilocks zone; not too hot but not too cold because both will wake you. Don’t hesitate to contact us with any questions or concerns; we’re always happy to help. The Hotel Sheet – bring the luxury home
DISCLOSURE: We aren't trained textile experts. All opinions are our own and are based on a decade's experience sleep testing, wash testing and lab testing bedding, as well as working with textile experts and high-quality European manufacturers. If you spot mistakes or incorrect information, let us know, we're always learning.